Introducing the P.A.N.I.C. Model of Search Behaviour, almost named, N.I.C.A.P. (to be pronounced, ‘knee cap’, but as is cyclical I think P.A.N.I.C. works far better!
Here’s the theory.
1. Searcher has a ‘notion’ about something they want to search (internal bias)
2. Searcher starts an investigation around search aim
3. Searcher draws a conclusion
4. Searcher delivers an action
The action could be to click on the site, drill-down search terms etc,.. but feeds back into cycle,
5. Searcher has a reinforced notion
All of these elements are influenced by ‘persuasion’ whether that be brand influence, search positioning, offline, etc.